TRAVERSE HEALTH CLINIC
Job Title: Front Desk Receptionist
Reports To: Reception Services Manager
Status: FT/PT, Hourly, Non-Exempt
Hours: Varies, Some evenings may be required.
The front desk receptionist functions as part of a team to meet the mission and objectives of the Traverse Health Clinic (the Clinic). The Front Desk Receptionist interacts in person and on the telephone to effectively accomplish positive patient relations while maintaining a high level of confidentiality, diplomacy and tact.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Welcomes and checks in all patients for their appointments in a positive, friendly, professional, customer service oriented, timely and efficient manner.
- Ensures all demographics and eCW structured data are updated.
- Telephones patients to remind them of appointments as needed.
- Ensures accuracy of required registration documentation, updating as necessary, by providing appropriate forms and guidance in meeting registration requirements to all new and established patients, collecting documentation, and entering data.
- Ensures that all patients’ funding source (Medicaid/HMOs, insurance, private pay etc.) is up to date and accurate especially at the time of the patient’s appointment if other staff has not updated.
- Utilizes the Clinic’s scheduling guidelines to schedule patients and confirm patient appointments.
- Contacts patients for follow up and rescheduling of appointments.
- Monitors daily schedules to ensure compliance with the Clinic’s guidelines. Reports variations to schedule and makes recommendation for changes.
- Performs the following checkout tasks:
- Collects money and bills patient accounts if required
- Obtains necessary patient information and updates computer data
- Monitors status of patient accounts and insurance information at each visit
- Reviews sliding fee scale costs, if required
- Initiates the medical record keeping of program patients and their children, if required.
- Coordinates all BCCCP paperwork with nursing staff and practitioners.
- Copies forms and makes sure all clerical supplies are replenished on a weekly basis.
- Purchases or orders supplies e.g. water, or as needed or directed by the Reception Services Manager.
- Updates medical records by faxing releases for information needed from other offices; copies records and mails when patient or other provider appropriately requests.
- Faxes documents as requested.
- Ensures the reception area and waiting room is clean and tidy every day.
- Serves as backup for the Phone Room Receptionist.
- Designee checks fax box daily.
- Designee checks the status of patient’s insurances the day prior to their appointment and prints payment plans as applicable.
- Designee scans documents.
- Demonstrates appropriate, respectful, caring behavior with all patients and in all interactions.
- Acts in a professional manner reflecting the mission and philosophy of the Traverse Health Clinic.
- Builds and maintains positive working relationships.
- Attends and participates in staff meetings as required.
- Participate as a team member in meeting corporate objectives
- Acts in conformance with the Clinic’s Compliance and Performance Improvement (CPI) policy.
- Complies with all policies and procedures of Traverse Health Clinic, including HIPAA.
- Other applicable duties as may be assigned.
The evaluation of work performance is ongoing, and will be performed by the Reception Services Manager. It will include the specific duties and responsibilities of this position description plus employee attitude and general working behavior. Formal evaluation will normally be performed annually, but may be initiated at other times by the Front Desk Receptionist or Reception Services Manager.
- A high school diploma or GED required; Associates degree or higher preferred.
- A minimum of two years of combined experience in customer service, patient registration, health records; or other medical office experience preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must be self-directed; able to maintain confidentiality, handle crisis and tolerate stress professionally.
- Proficiency in working with various computer programs and databases, particularly Microsoft Office.
- Experience with electronic medical records preferred.
- Basic typing and computer skills.
- Handle a fast-paced environment.
- Prior experience and proven ability to work as a team member in a team setting.
- Prior experience and proven ability to work with the public.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organization skills; ability to multi-task.
- Familiarity with office practices, procedures and policies.
- Ability to relate well with diverse populations of varying socio-economic backgrounds.
The essential functions of this position must be able to be accomplished with or without accommodations.
This job operates in a professional well-lit health clinic environment where there is no physical discomfort due to extreme temperature, dust, noise and the like. Will be required to communicate with staff and patients throughout the facility. Standard office equipment, such as computers, phones, photocopiers and fax machines are routinely used.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; sit; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
I may worry about making ends meet, but I no longer worry about my daughter’s health.Kim, patient and single mom