The Coalition Health Access Program – CHAP – is a program for adult residents of Benzie, Grand Traverse and Leelanau counties who are uninsured and meet eligibility guidelines.
CHAP is composed of a network of health practitioners, organizations and volunteers who donate many health services to uninsured people who would otherwise not have access to care. CHAP is not an insurance program, but has been created with donations and other funds targeted for programs for people who meet eligibility guidelines.
There is a $10 CHAP Fee for every office visit, including the onsite clinic, other physicians’ offices (primary care and specialists), dental visits, eye exams and counseling services. There are additional fees for special services such as eyewear and dental procedures.
Benefits of CHAP:
The benefits for CHAP members with a CHAP card include access to:
- primary care home with a physician, nurse practitioner or physician’s assistant;
- basic medications, usually generics, at community pharmacies, with a small $4 copay;
- labs, x-rays, EKGs, and basic outpatient services at Munson Healthcare facilities;
- eye exams and, if needed, eye glasses at a low cost;
- referrals to specialists when ordered by the primary care doctor, nurse practitioner or physician assistant and scheduled by CHAP;
- counseling services;
- assistance working with Munson Healthcare’s financial aid program for other services.
Eligibility for CHAP:
- resident of Benzie, Grand Traverse, or Leelanau county;
- 19 years of age or older;
- no medical coverage, insurance or eligibility for another program such as Medicaid;
- meet income and asset guidelines;
- completion of an application for eligibility determination and attendance at an orientation session annually.
For more information call the Traverse City CHAP office at 231-935-0799 or 866-483-6987.
The Adult Benefit Waiver (ABW) program is offered by the State of Michigan and is administered by the Traverse Health Clinic for Benzie, Grand Traverse and Leelanau counties. ABW provides basic health coverage to residents of the State of Michigan with incomes at or below 35% of the Federal Poverty Level.
Residents of Benzie, Grand Traverse and Leelanau counties are enrolled in the ABW program by the county Department of Human Services office.
For more information on the ABW program, or to apply for it, contact the Department of Human Services offices listed below:
Grand Traverse and Leelanau County DHS
701 S. Elmwood, Suite 19
Traverse City, MI 49684
Benzie County DHS
P.O. Box 114, 448 Court Plaza
Beulah, MI 49617